jopj

June 25, 2008

DOING THE OUTSIDE

When the big pieces of Divinycell were on place it was time to fill out small holes like here in the foreward part

or even smaller ones were plugged, here Im doing the holes were the screws holding the Divinycell to the frames had been.

After that it was time to shape the thick Divinycell.

I have found a good quality kitchen knife sharpened to a racors edge to be very efficient.

Checking frequently with a pattern of the desired radius.

That done it was time for sanding with the longboard

Finally her shape was to my satisfaction.

Now it was time for freinds to help me with the lamination.

It was Jonas and Ingrid who came from the west coast and Anders and Eva from Västervik. We started 9 am and finished 8 pm. Thank you my freinds.
We used NM-Epoxi and quadrupel-axial glass fibre, 600 gram per square meter. On the hullsides we laid three layers. The middle of the bottom got the most layers 14 + 3 unidirectional going from stem to stern. I wanted the bottom of my boat to be strong when drying out and when landing on beaches. We finished with peel ply.

Here am I the next day happy that everything had gone well.

After peeling of the peel ply it was time to turn her over that I could start on the inside.

Luckily there were some steel beams in the roof to attach the lifting equippment to. Even more lycky they were spaced 2.4 meter and the boat is 4.8 so I got one beam in each end.
Whith the boat on its side I took away the fundament to make a flat flour.

Then I started to take away the frames. To be continued.




June 20, 2008

COVERING HER WITH DIVINYCELL

Covering a small boat in Divinycell is mostly nice and easy work. Progress is quick. When the moulds are upp small pices of wood are scruved on to get grips for clamps and screvs. Then everything is sheated with plastic film to work as a release agent to avoid the epoxy to glue the Divinycell to the frames.

I used a roll of hewy paper to get the shape of the panels.

On the flour I cut out the shape and glued the Divinycell together to a long pice.

I used a rigging screw as a clamp to edgeglue the Divinycell pices.

The edgescarvs were held down with a lot of leadweights to get the panels straight.

Then I put them on. First with the help of a lot of clamps I got them into their places, then I screved them into the woodpices.

The back sidepanels was childs play.

But when doing the foreward bottom panels I had to watch my steps using patience and not rusching things. I let gravity work for me during lunchbreaks and overnight gradually increasing the weight. A small boat has smaller bending radius then a big one and I use very thick Divinycell 4cm wich is nearly 2 inches and its heavy duty quality 100 kilo kubik per meter. But its makes for a very strong boat, well insulated and unsinkable. qualitys I like.

The Divinycell is clued with NM-Epoxy edgewise to at the sherline its glued to the woodenpieces at the frames, then all screves and clamps can be removed.

Here there is still a few screvs left at the shear,

Now she is ready for the final shaping.




June 14, 2008

I START A NEW BOAT

I now live in Västervik on the Swedish east coast. Here I have rented a room to build my new boat in. This is how it looked when i mowed in.

now

After i got order in the mess I put up the fundament.

Then I raised the molds.

As I was standing there brooding, seeing the huge boat in three dimension for the first time i realised that I better start with something smaller, so I took down the frames a recut them to a handier size.

This size suited me better. I named her YRVIND ¬Ĺ after myself as I hope she will become my better half.

… to be continued…




WordPress logo