After much hesitation I decided to increase the draft of Yrvind by 3.2 centimeter 1 1/4 inch and reduce her load carrying capacity by 120 kilos. I would gain better stability. Watching grib weather files for Cape Horn daily for over a year has made me worried about its storm. Also I would get a very strong antifouling bottom if I made the keel of bronze. Here I would like to thank Carol of the Copper Development Association very much for paitiently ansver my many silly questions.
The foundry BLOMSTERMĂ…LA METALLGJUTERI did now as with the leadweights an excellent job. To celebrate I will give talk at TIMMERNABBEN YACHT CLUB tuesday 7 of April 1900 welcome.
Below are some pictures. I started to make a pattern. I used square cut divinycell and glassfibre and NM-epoxy to make a pattern Martin gave me advice. Thank You.
As the pattern was long and flexible I made a pattern for the pattern of plywood to check it in the foundry.
Then we put the bottle arond her.
Next we packed her with moulding sand.
Next comes feeders and raisers.
More foundry sand is packed.
The mould is split the pattern removed and the surfaceces are blackend with graphit. The solvent is burnt of.
The bronze is melted.
The whole thing has to cool for several hours.
Then still pretty hot it is taken apart.
Now I can see one surface of my keel. It is still very hot but its starting to snow so it cools it quicker. Still I have to go for lunch before its cool enough to handle.
It weighs 126 kilos pretty close to my estimated 120. It has also shrunk 1 1/2 % But that is no problem. After cutting of the feeders and raisers I put the keel in my car and I drive one and a half houer north to VĂ¤stervik where I unload her.
Next I start to get a smouth surface on her. She now looks nice and I am proud of my decision to make a bronze keel. To be continued.