CLICK ON THE PICTURES TO MAKE THEM BIGGER
To make the rig adaptable to every wind condition she carries plenty of spars: one topp mast, two light wind booms, two hard wind booms one sprit and one big yuloh to be used when there is no wind. If I had them on deck there would be no place for things like solar panels. I carry them below deck in carbon tubes. The picture below shows the holes where the spars will enter.
This arrangement has the advantages of lowering the center of gravity and reducinging wind resistance. The spars and the mast are easily accessible from the main hatch. I dont have to go on deck to adapt the rig.
The picture below shows the spars in the main cabin, the bed room. The two vertical struts support the deck beam.
The forward ends of the tubes drain overboard. Here I am building up a support of aluminum netting for the glass fiber which will connec the tubes to the drains.
The hinge is for the aft opening window in the deckhouse. Below is a picture of how I made a mock up of the window.
Below the window mock up is in place in the open position.
Below the window mock up is in place in its closed position.
Below is a close up of the hinge which makes possible angular and linear movements. It is important to have a linear movement in a window when you clamp it down. Ordinary hinges, in my opinion is no good. Still they are used by nearly every one. The reason why the are not always leak proof is you can only clamp down one side of the window, the side opposite to the hinge.
The thousand old trick of making a hinge of a rope threaded in a eight figure gives enough play to move the windows edge deep into the gasket. Making it non leaking in all conditions.
On Saturday 5 Dec 2009 Mattias visited me. He is a professional balance adjuster. Here he is adjusting my balance I use for epoxy. My balance is now accurate to a tenth of a gram. I feel that if I can do my best on land, my chances to succeed at see will be bigger. I also always pour the epoxy in a second container after having mixed it.
Mattias has is interested in small boats and have bought plans for an Paradox a Matt Layden design.
Paradoxes are slowly spreading from Patagonia to northern Norway.
The bowboard daggertype did not slide up and down to my satisfaction.
I made a new board rotating around an axis. However the line arrangement became to complicated to my taste. I wanted to be able to chance the lines at sea.
Next idea to keep the bow into the wind, making her nicely fore-reach in a storm was to have a mizzen on the rudderpost and sheated to the rudder like the Thames barges a hundred years ago.
However being modern I wanted to make a solid rotating wing-sail using a VX40 rudder. Even that turned out to have its problems, but if at first you do not succeed, try again.
The final theory is to lean the mast to lee. That will give the boat weather helm, creating the same effect as a bowboard or a mizzen but much simpler.
The above picture shows a mock up of the strut giving the mast additional support in storms. The tilting angle is 30 degrees. In addition I have the shrouds.
At the moment I am repairing the damage I have done to the boat. Taking away the case for the bowboard and filling up the big hole.