jopj

August 9, 2011

POSSIBLE DEPARTURE FROM KINSALE

Thursday 11 Augustn is a possible date for departure from Kinsale. I will sail towards Madeira Island. To my uneducated eye the weather forecast is not be the best. On the other hand from now on statistically the weather will detoriate and I have a small boat. Therefore if no sudden changes occor Thursday will be the day.

On sunday the Fastnet race starts with several hundred boats crossing my course. I like not to get into that fleet. I like to be gone before they reach here.

As my estimated average speed is 2,5 knots it will take me between 20 and 30 days to reach Madeira. More if I get much strong headwinds in the bay of Biscay.

The boat is only sailed about ten houers and have no selfsteering. I hope I can find a way to balance her so that I do not have to steer by hand.

She is also more heavy than planned. It will be interesting to see how she will behave in big waves offshore.

I will send positions from my SPOT. Testing hass shown that it works from inside my top window.

Respecfully yours Yrvind.




August 7, 2011

WAITING FOR GOOD WEATHER

Everything is OK here at the Kinsale Yacht Club. I meet a lot of interesting sailors and everyone is kind to me. Now with a fairly long ocean passage down to Porto Santo in the Madeira island group in front of me I indulge in icecreams now and then I also buy books.

The weather out in the Bay of Biscay is not at its best but in a weeks time or so it seams to improve, but it is a long shot.

Jonas ├ůkerblom has succesfully delivered my car and trailer to Hunnebostrand in Sweden where it is now waiting for my return which might be arund Christmas.

Tomorrow night at about 7.30 I will give an illustrated talk in Cronins Bar Crosshaven for details call Tom Harding 087 9858029 everyone is welcome.

Hopefully the weather will improve.

Respectfully yours Yrvind




WordPress logo