Today 18:30 we started to mix the NM-elastic epoxy. Helping me were Håkan Stefan Peter and Petter. All went very well although my original plan had to be changed for a better one suggested by Petter. One should always chose helpers that are smarter than oneself.
Below are some pictures taken by Håkan. The reason you cannot see him is that he is behind the camera.
I like also to thank Lagermetall in Örebro who supplied the bronze plate and Wevik Maskin AB here in Västervik who bent the palte to shape.
Today was spent on improvements. The results was very satisfying. I was able to reduce the space between the plate and the hull to about 2 – 3 millimeter at the worst places. Yesterday it worst place was 9 millimeter. To achive it I drilled holes through the hull and tightend them considerabel the 12 mm plate yealded and the gap closed.
Below two pictures.
This is the dry run. For the real stuff I need 4 or 5 friends and more NM-epoxy. Monday I will start to organise the event. Intill then there is other stuff to take care of.
Today I have been working with the bronze plate from Lagermetall Örebro, bent to a fitting curvature by Wevik Maskin AB here in Västervik.
A lot of holes had to be drilled and some tapped. The plate is to big for my drillpress but by using a mighty sharp drill and get support from a box all went well with the holes and the tapping.
It turned out that the plate was heavier than anticipated 138 instead of 127. The extra kilos will do good rounding Cape Horn.
To get the plate in the right place some reshuffling had to be done. The boat had to be put upside down and rolled away, the heavy plate lifted up towards the cealing. The boat had to be rolled back and put in a very precise position below the plate. The finally the plate had to lowered.
All went very well except for the very last correction, then the boat fell over. A bad thing had happend. The bulkheads got damaged but can be fixed without to much weight gain I hope. No use cry over spilled milk. I continued.
To cheer me up the plate fitted itself in the most beatiful way. Only about 9 mm in the back was there a rather wide gap between the plate and the hull. I belive I can do something about it. We will see.
About five weeks ago I ordered a heavy bronze plate as a sole for my boat. It is now here.
It will protect Exlex bottom when she is being beached and and handled on other hard surfaces. It will also act as ballast to give needed stability. The wheight is 127 kilos and thirdly bronze have antifouling propreties. Many of the contenders in the Golden Globe Race have serius problems with fouling by goose barnacles. On Exlex with a bronze plate and only 20 cm/ 8 inches draft that will not be a problem. Saddly bronze is wery expensive but it solves many problems. Fortunatly Lagermetall in Örebro have been giving me an very good prize, still this phosphor bronze plate is nearly ruining me so please, if you can afford it send me an contribution.
Wevik Maskin AB here in Västervik have kindly put a bend in the strong plate to make it fit the bottom of Exlex Minor. Tomorrow I try to organize a transport to my workshop. This bronze plate is nothing I can carry on my bike.
At the moment I am doing details. Details but details are important and time-consuming.
On Exlex I secured the lunch-box hatches by screws. Some people say that takes to long time. I say I dont mind spend ten secounds to obtain a well secured hatch. Pictures below show how I secured the 30 mm long M8 bronze nuts.
The epoxying of the nut is done with the lid in place and the bolt in the nut. That guarantees that everything is aligmented.
Yesterday was a succes in disguise. Luckily I did not succeed in bending the PVC-pipe. Without the setback I would not had this bright Idea that I found today.
Due to interference the ventilation system has to be situated in the sleeping room. Fresh air comes in above the sleeping room is ducted from port side to starboard and vice verse, descends to the floor and is piped through the aft bulkhead to the lunchroom aft which is a wet room.
After my disasterius pipe-bending experiment I put on my thinking cap and realised that the pipe did not have go through the bulkhead at 90°. In fact it would be much better if it did not. That would reduce the resistence as the airstream did not have to be bent so much. It would also save a bit of wheight as the distance would be shorter and also be far easier to produce. I simply bought a ready made bend and cut it.
Pictures below will illustrate.
Some people say that the diameter of the pipe I use is to small. That it will not allow me to get enough air. I say that the diameter of my nostrils are even finer and the increase of flow is more than linear. For exampel in hemodynamics it is considerd that flow increases with the forth power of the blood vessel. Not directly applicable here but it might be interesting for you readers with an inquiring mind.
I have also been working on the lunch-box below pictures showing me sandpapering the coaming flat using a large sandpaper on a particle board. Particle boards are flat as there is no tension built into them.